End of Year Giving
Dear Friend of Habitat Catawba,
Much of Habitat’s success over the past three decades has been because people like you support Habitat’s mission with gifts, time, and prayers. You’ve made a difference to Habitat and those we serve. Habitat families are like all of us: we want the opportunity to build better lives for ourselves and our children.
I want to share a few stories about the people we serve to show you how you’ve helped others:
- Matthew, 83, loves to sit on the porch of his Hickory home and greet cars with a friendly wave as they pass. After talking with him, it is clear there is nowhere he would rather be than in this house where he and his departed wife raised their children and where he has spent over 60 years of his life. Like most of our repair projects, Matthew’s house was in tremendous need. The leaking roof had caused the ceiling to sag and fall in some areas of the home. Replacing his roof has allowed Matthew not only to be dry and warm, but to make plans for many more years on his front porch.
- Wendy has had a tough year. The 40-year-old mother of two teen sons learned that one of her boys has leukemia. With the help of Woodlawn Baptist Church, we addressed the long list of repairs for her Conover house, including front door and window replacement, siding and garage door repair. Our partnership allowed Wendy to worry less about her home and focus on what’s really important- helping her son recover.
- Mahogany and her two children moved into their Northstone home this year. Mahogany was especially moved during her dedication when she described that she applied three times to the Habitat program and her hard work and perseverance had finally paid off. “Now,” she said, “I’m ready to be a homeowner!” Our families understand that homeownership is an investment and that the strong and stable foundation it provides is worth the time, commitment, and courage they put into the process.
- Pao and Suni were among the five families to pay off their mortgage this year. Through hard-work, rigorous budgeting, and a commitment to financial freedom, the young family completed their 15-year mortgage in just 13 years. Still grateful for their opportunity, Pao and Suni can look to a future that includes an asset they can pass along to their children.
We know we could not do these things without your support. Our hope in the coming years is to use all three of our services: homeownership, Habitat Repairs!, and market-rate housing, to revitalize long-neglected neighborhoods throughout our community as we continue to address the housing needs of our neighbors.
Demand for our services continues to grow. We had 394 inquiries for service last year. While we served more families last year than ever before, we are limited by our resources.
That’s why this holiday season we are asking you to consider increasing your giving so that we may empower more families through shelter.
- Your gift of $1,000 provides the brick foundation for a home that will provide a family with a safe and affordable foundation for years to come.
- Your gift of $500 provides materials for a wheelchair ramp for an elderly couple who wants to preserve their independent lifestyle.
- Your gift of $200 provides a front door on a home that children will forget to close for many years.
- Your gift of $100 provides a sink for a home that will help with many a holiday clean up after family gatherings.
Again, thank you for your commitment to our mission and for helping us build strength, stability and self-reliance through shelter. We continue to believe that with a little help, everyone has the potential to stand on their own.
Mitzi D. Gellman